Seeking medical treatment in this modern age can be considered relatively convenient. In case treatment options in the Philippines are not enough, we have the option of going overseas and seeking advanced treatment.
However, the usual options are either Europe or USA and other western countries. We have to admit it, it is half-way around the world and is expectedly very expensive multiplied by the foreign exchange conversion rate.
But the good news is, today, Taiwan is emerging as one of the newest destinations where we can seek medical treatment in different areas of medicine. Known for their skills and advanced technology, and with the help of Taiwan Trade Center Manila (TAITRA) and the Bureau of Foreign Trade, Taiwan is making a mark in overseas medical treatment and medical tourism.
Taiwan Medical Technology Seminar 2019
Recently, the 2019 Taiwan Medical Technology Seminar have highlighted Taiwan as a medical destination for Filipinos. In recent years, Taiwan and the Philippines have formed closer working ties in the medical sector including personnel training, academic exchange, and industrial cooperation.
In keeping with this partnership, TAITRA organized the 2019 Taiwan Medical Technology Seminar, held last September 10, 2019, at the Centennial Hall of The Manila Hotel.
With the theme “Bringing You a Total Solution in Healthcare,” the seminar highlighted the increasing need for high quality human-centric medical care in developing societies like the Philippines and Taiwan’s desire to share its know-how with the rest of Southeast Asia.
Taiwan Medical Technology Seminar 2019 Highlights by Good News Manila:
- Congenital Heart Disease – One of the speakers Dr.Kung-Hong Hsu M.D., Attending Physician (Cardio-Vascular Division, Surgical Department) at Mackay Memorial Hospital, shared insights on advance treatment for complex congenital heart disease in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Other Medical Services
- RIRS as a new treatment for kidney stones safely and efficiently
- Cardiac Catheterization using newest medical faciltites to check coronary artery disease efficiently
- Microsurgery – which leaves only a tiny scar and recover quickly
- Laser Acupuncture
- Reconstructive Microsurgery -discussed by Ms. Helen Chen, Dept of international Medical Affairs, E-Da Healthcare Group, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- Medical Tourism – As a country with a strong tourism industry, Taiwan can easily strengthen their medical tourism. From Kaohsiung alone, these tourist spots should be on your list: Kaohsiung Harbor, Kenting, Cijin, Kaohsiung Exhibition Hall, Mao Lin Indigenous Festival, and Mao Lin Euploea Habitat.
- Aesthetic Medicine is on the rise – External beauty is now given more value and is easily achievable with modern technology such as the HIFU Treatment (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound). It is a non-invasive therapeutic technique that uses non-ionizing ultrasonic waves to heat tissue. HIFU can be used to increase the flow of blood or lymph, or to destroy tissue, such as tumors, through a number of mechanisms. No scars, no bleeding, no radiation, no adverse effect
- New Medical Examinations
- Cancer Screening by ACT Genomics, an award winning leading service company for precision cancer medicine starting form “Risk Protection” to “Treatment Selection“, and “Disease Monitoring“.
- Computed Tomography using 640-Slice CT Scanner
- Women’s Health Check-up
- Stress-Free Endoscopic Examination
- Disease Control Triangle – composed of the International Airport, Taoyuan General Hospital, Shin Wu Branch.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare has 26 Affiliated Institutions, 20 polyclinics, 5 Sanatariums, 1 Chest Hospital
Key Hospitals and Speakers
It brought together top biotech innovators from the best and most advanced hospitals in Taiwan to share about their latest innovations to nearly a hundred medical practitioners and professionals from around the Philippines.
The opening remarks was given by Mr. Wen Chung-Chang of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) and Department of Health (DOH) Director Dr. Enrique “Eric” Tayag. The 2019 Taiwan Medical Technology Seminar aims to encourage medical practitioners in the Philippines to look to partners and counterparts in Taiwan in providing better healthcare for Filipino patients.
Among the speakers were from the:
- Taipei Mackay Memorial Hospital showcased its state-of-the-art Treatment for Complex Congenital Heart Diseases. Its specialized Children’s Hospital is equipped with 200 beds, 300 doctors, and technologies such as the Computer Topography 3D Echo that can provide immediate 24/7 assessment and care for patients. It is also a pioneer in the holistic “from womb to home” approach that covers prenatal consultations and examinations to pre-operative, operative, and post-operative stages of treatment.
- The Kaohsiung Municipal Siaogang Hospital, located in Southern Taiwan, also presented its various specialties, particularly its specialized HIFU Procedure, Nursing Training, and Cancer Screening. The hospital is easily accessible via direct flights from Manila or Cebu to Kaohsiung, and only a 10-minute drive away from the airport, making it a convenient destination for Filipino patients.
- ACT Genomics Co. Ltd. also showcased its innovative use of Precision Medicine based on genetic technology to create tailored healthcare treatment for maximum efficacy. Through its Comprehensive Genomic Profiling procedure, cancer patients are given more options for treatments as chemotherapy is not always the most effective and cost-efficient solution. This helps patients save time and money, and reduce the burden of a painful experience in the long-run.
- The Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital featured its International Medical Services and Specialist Training Programs that focus on comprehensive surgical treatments like plastic surgery and breast surgery for cancer patients, plastic surgery and blepharoptosis, robotic surgery and laparoscopic radiation prostatectomy for prostate cancer patients, laser acupuncture, and a non-invasive myoma ablation procedure that is much quicker and less painful.
- E-Da Hospital also gave new insights on Reconstructive Microsurgery, where patients of various needs including trauma, tumors, congenital diseases, burns, and cancer can have access to the latest treatments that specialize in repairing form and restoring function of affected body parts.
- The Taipei Municipal Wanfang Hospital introduced its Multi-bipolar RF (radiation frequency) Ablation for Hepatic Tumors, which uses a minimal invasive, no-touch technique that only uses targeted electrode needles in lieu of surgery.
- The Taoyuan General Hospital also unveiled the Taiwan Health Care Information System (TaiwanHIS), which enhances patient safety, healthcare quality, and effective cost management through a digitally interconnected system that includes the government, academe, hospitals, and partner institutions, patients and doctors.
- Specialist Ms. Chiang Ko from the Taipei Computer Association presented its International Smart Healthcare Forum, which is part of the Smart City Summit & Expo that highlights the latest medical technologies of Taiwan.
Other speakers include Po-An So, Director of Kaohsiung Municipal Siaogang Hospital, and Dr. Hung-Lung Ke, MD, PhD, Urology Specialist and Associate Professor at Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital – Kaohsiung Medical University Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital (KMUH).
Being the fourth country in the world to implement the hospital evaluation system after the US, Canada, and Australia, Taiwan leads in world-class medical services including sound senior care, advanced biotechnology, and smart medical systems and equipment. Add to that the competitive pricing—typically one-fifth of similar treatments in other parts of the world—made possible by the local development of medical technology.
For a fraction of the cost of treatments in the U.S. and Europe, and only a two-hour flight time from Manila, Filipino doctors and patients are assured of a more viable, accessible, and practical option in seeking immediate advanced medical treatments in Taiwan.
Know more about the latest medical technologies from Taiwan, contact the Taiwan Trade Center Manila hotline at (02) 551-7281/551-7349/551-7339 or visit the TAITRA Manila website at http://www.taiwanexcellence.org/ph and the TAITRA Manila Facebook page.